The Glittering Caves

...evening comes: they fade and twinkle out; the torches pass on into another chamber and another dream.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I'd rather be in Scotland. But I'm blessed where I am right now.

Friday, December 08, 2006

maybe unfair,

but i have to comment. (eragon and eldest, btw, were great reads, and i can't wait for the movie! maybe the first i will see in the theaters since musa came along).

anyway, i finally picked up john updike's terrorist at the public library yesterday. just read the first ten pages and i am already boiling!!!

i am sorry, i am sorry, i will give it a chance. i mean, it's john updike, this guy is standard reading in english classes. but if the first ten pages are any indication of what's to come... i mean, literally from the first word it's every stereotype you can imagine about a young angry muslim high schooler who actually sees all his classmates and teachers as kafir devils - the color grey is described as the color of a kafir woman's eyes, for God's sake - and is tempted by a girl in his school, and his mentor at the masjid says women are animals led easily... i mean, what the heck?????

GOD i need to write a book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay musa is crying, i will finish the book and write more later...

3 Comments:

Blogger Aisha said...

Ayesha this book I read at a bookstore a few months ago and I was literally DEPRESSED for a week. I was so disappointed in him. It is VERY poorly written and the usual perspective and empathy is missing. It was written by a first time novelist. I thought I was biased but I googled his book and many of them also are in agreement that this was by far one of his weakest novels. Sadly some will love it because it addresses and speaks to their biases and stereotypes of Muslims.

Its unrealistic depiction of a Muslim Amercan even an ultra conservative one. Ridiculous.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Ayesha said...

aisha - yeah, i have been reading reader comments on amazon and many are saying the same thing, even non muslims, at how shallow the characters are.
i haven't actually read updike before, but have heard so much about the rabbit books, i might give them a shot so i don't totally lose respect for this apparently great author...

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Updike is the like the Kabbalah - it should not be read until you are over 40, so that you have neough experience, so they say. I am over 40 by a lot, and I think Updike sucks. I never liked his books 30 years ago either.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home