The Glittering Caves

...evening comes: they fade and twinkle out; the torches pass on into another chamber and another dream.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I'd rather be in Scotland. But I'm blessed where I am right now.

Friday, February 09, 2007

honeybush

i have discovered the answer to my chai prayers.
well, it's like this - i love chai, but i can't have it because i'm nursing. and decaf most of the time just doesn't do the trick.
a friend of mine has just introduced me to rooibos teas - a different leaf entirely from black, green or white teas, so it has no caffeine naturally. honeybush is a type of rooibos.

have you tried it? have you smelled it? it smells like ... imagine what samwise hamfast smelled when he woke in sweet ithilien after falling asleep in the nightmare destruction of orodruin. only sweet instead of herby.
and the taste... i have never ever tasted anything like it. it's like silk going down your throat, warm, touched with honey. so unbelievably smooth. it's not chai... but it's something entirely different. go, go, go try it! teavana has a version, honeybush vanilla, that is just divine. if i can say that. i mean, the first thing i said was "heaven in a cup." oh, thank you God...

7 Comments:

Blogger Manal said...

That's funny. But I didn't know that a nursing mom can't drink tea. Why? Or is it only tea that has caffeine?

I love tea with milk. It tastes so yummy. BTW, where do you get this honeybush tea? Now you got me interested......LOL

3:53 AM  
Blogger Ayesha said...

it's the caffeine, manal. once i had some while pregnant (over at koonj's house) and i didn't sleep allnight and he was kicking me all night. i've seen him go crazy with it after nursing, too. so, i figure it's best to avoid it, if i value my sleep at all, which i do, very much! :)
as for where to find honeybush... i know the shop "teavana" has some, google it and see where the closest one to you is... good luck! :)

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, the caffeine-deprived trying to derive some joy out of approximations to tea ... poor mortals ...
:)

11:43 PM  
Blogger Baraka said...

Ok, I just officially fell in love with you.

Anyone who can write about tea so evocatively that I can taste it AND bring in Samwise to boot is definitely my soul mate.

:)

xo,
B "I love Rooibus too" N

4:01 PM  
Blogger Ayesha said...

lol :) i've been rereading it recently so it's in my mind. can you imagine a happiness any greater than sam's, short of waking up and realizing you actually made it to heaven? those two pages in the book always make me cry...

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A chai crazy friend used to drink tea, nurse, and then give her daughter some Avil :) Mother and daughter were both always happy!

1:16 PM  
Blogger bsc said...

For those who are less educated in Urdu
"Chhut-ti naheen hai munh say yeh zaalim lagee houyi"
was said about chai and not sharab I have been told. Reportedly the author is no other than the late maulana abul-kalam Azad.
Koonj can translate that for me if necessary

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home