The Glittering Caves

...evening comes: they fade and twinkle out; the torches pass on into another chamber and another dream.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I'd rather be in Scotland. But I'm blessed where I am right now.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

homebirthing - unassisted?

this article from today's wpost discusses "free birth," meaning giving birth at home without the assistance of any trained professionals - just you and your hubby and other kids.
my first reaction is - hey, even in days of yore they had midwives...
(musa is standing on the ottoman which he has just recently learned to climb and giving nobody in particular a lecture, which involves a lot of gesturing toward the plant i told him he couldn't touch)(ha! i've outsmarted him(for now) by turning the ottoman on its short side so it's too tall for him to climb... now he's gone off to climb the windowsill instead)
anyway! so, i have two friends who had midwife-assisted homebirths, which seemed to have been the successful and empowering experiences they were hoping for. i am thinking of using a midwife instead of a doctor next time (no, i'm not pregnant) inshallah - at a birthing center though, at least! - even though my experience with doctor and hospital last time was not such a bad thing. sure, i got the attitude that i was crazy for not getting an epidural, etc., but i also got a lot of support from the nurses through pushing, etc., which i did while squatting. i did have an episiotomy, which i don't regret (thankfully it healed well) but i think it was a medical decision that was probably not entirely necessary (the doc was basically like, you should have delivered by now... and i probably would have torn otherwise... but there is a perspective that would answer - why is that? is there a specific time bracket in which any given woman "should have delivered"? again - not that i am upset i didn't have to push any longer...)
i can completely understand the sentiment behind free birth - it's the same that makes me shy away from the medicalization of most childbirth, the quickness to induce, the pressure for epidurals, the overuse of c-section, and then the intrusive, restraining monitoring during labor, etc... but... to me the hospital, or at least the proximity of a medical professional, is a precaution at least. sure, it's not necessary most of the time, especially for healthy young mothers, and sure babies and mothers die in hospitals, too, but generally that's because the docs have done whatever they can and nothing else can be done... why risk not even having that option? yes, women have done it by themselves - often with the herblore and experience of midwives - for centuries, but mother and infant mortality was also sky-high for those centuries. the absorption of childbirth into the medical world helped to drastically reduce those mortality rates. perhaps it went too far, in making childbirth a medical procedure when it is in fact a completely natural physical process, but that's no reason to turn your back on it completely at the risk of endangering yourself or your baby. i'd prefer to use it as much as i need to, and claim the rest of the experience for my own...

4 Comments:

Blogger samra said...

As much as I love to read your posts, I can never get through a post about childbirth bc it makes me feel weak!

However, I managed to read up to the point about not getting an epidural. My mom also had me without any anesthesia because there was some miscommunication between her and the staff and they thought she was allergic to them!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Sheeza said...

This blog was very appropriate considering my current condition :) I'm the opposite of Samra, I can read childbirth anecdotes all day long :)

As you know, I didn't have an epidural the first time -- but not because I'm super-woman like you -- I just progressed too fast! Was it so awful? Not at all -- to be honest, I really don't remember the pain. I'm afraid to try that again though, esp since this one is supposed to be better (you never know about their estimates though).

I, too, had an episiotomy...I didn't really care about that (though healing took quite awhile)... After 1.5 hours of pushing, they asked if I would like to continue to push (since Shaan was tolerating it) or have them use the vacuum extraction method and get him out in 1 push. So, I said, "Get him out." :)

In retrospect, I should have said that I would keep on pushing. I wasn't exhausted, just anxious to see Shaan. When I thought about it later and realized that he was born at 6 pm, I also realized that the doc was probably trying to get home in time for dinner. This time, iA, they will have to work on my schedule.

So what do I think about birthing centers and midwives/doulas/etc? I would use one...if I was guaranteed that no medical intervention would be needed. Since I can't get that guarantee, I'm just too chicken to try it!

10:12 AM  
Blogger JAG said...

which plant did you tell musa not to touch?

was it one on top of a wall sconce that might fall down and shatter on someone's forehead?

3:08 PM  
Blogger Ayesha said...

ar har har! no, it was the one on the table between the chair and loveseat... :)

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home