The Glittering Caves

...evening comes: they fade and twinkle out; the torches pass on into another chamber and another dream.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I'd rather be in Scotland. But I'm blessed where I am right now.

Monday, April 02, 2007

one year ago today...

...at this exact time, i was... probably sleeping? i dunno. probably still reeling from the relief of not experiencing contractions anymore. musa was born at 5:25 a.m., thoughtful young man that he is, having been beaten to the world by cousin raihana only five hours or so before (it looks like six hours but the time changed that morning so it's only fivish).
we went to our favorite thai restaurant amina thai with the inlaws last night and i took this funny picture of him:



WOW! close call. subhanallah. i just literally caught musa in the middle of a headfirst tumble from the seventh or eighth step up the stairs. that kid is fast!! no there's no gate at the bottom of the stairs here in our basement, there's only a wall on one side at the bottom so it wouldn't work. sheesh, my heart is pounding!

he has had a good morning otherwise alhamdulillah! i haven't blogged in a while so let me catch you up (in the few seconds i get in between pulling musa out from under the computer desk): my parents came up on march 21 and it was wonderful to see them, mashallah, and to see them with musa especially, whom they had not seen since december. the aqiqa was on march 24; way more men came than women, but we were at a masjid so we were able to leave plenty of food for the community alhamdulillah. it was good to see everyone and interesting to see very different kinds of friends together.
saturday night right about midnight musa threw up his entire dinner plus milk while in his sleep.... it woke him up of course but otherwise didn't seem to bother him much at all. i didn't note his fever then because i had given him tylenol for teething pain, but by morning he was quite warm. it just ended up being that stupid stomach virus - raise your hand if you got it, too! - that is going around the DC area like crazy. i got it after musa, on thursday night, and had a miserable friday trying to get us both out of the house and ready, then running errands (including renewing my driver's license) with nothing in my stomach and a fever of 101 or so. finally made it to my inlaws where my MIL most kindly made me khichdee (sp?) with chicken and my bro-in-law ran out to get me gatorade and musa and i both slept a few hours in the afternoon.

much better the next day! this past weekend was the DC MIST youth competition (i believe it's Muslim Inter-Scholastic Tournament) and i had volunteered to judge the short story category (they tried to draft me this weekend last year but i was in labor and all). so i spent from 12:30 to 9:30 p.m. there doing so (not easy while watching baby, even though i had a lot of help the second half of the day!). but subhanallah, i had so much fun! doing something i enjoy and know i can be useful at - reading and critiquing stories - while hanging out with friends, meeting new sisters, and recalling high school days (i went to the bathroom to throw away a diaper and wash my hands, and these two girls were talking: "So, M.K. said... and she said to A.G., go back to your G.F.! Oh my God, I said ..."). i only really got glimpses of the kids, didn't really get to interact with them, but from what i did catch and from what i heard from the other volunteers, there were two things that struck me: one, how much incredible potential that generation might have, with all their talent and their desire to do something within their muslim community, and two, how much of a sense of self-entitlement there is among this crowd. i'm making a generalization - i know there are plenty of great kids out there mashallah - but i know the volunteers experienced a lot of rudeness from the kids, some of it very in-your-face, because the kids wanted this or that or didn't feel like things were going right or whatever... i tried to remember back to my MYNA days and whether or not we acted like that. probably...

anyway, i think i would do it again!
so i've been worried about musa this past week because he barely eats right anyway, but after being sick he has hardly eaten anything all week - like maybe a yobaby one day, half a slice of toast the next, aside from nursing. but this morning he had toast, swiss cheese, scrambled eggs AND cereal WITH cow's milk. ALHAMDULILLAH! not like full servings of each but plenty of food mashallah. i feel like anything can happen, i feel like it's a new day altogether, when he eats right. subhanallah.

anyway. i should be nice and post a not-embarrassing-in-the-future picture of him too, so here is musa being smiley-shy with a friendly woman at the restaurant last night:



and here is musa one year ago today, for memories' sake!



alright, well, my one-year-old is very stinky so i have to go clean him up...
happiest of birthdays to cousin raihana!! we hate having missed so much of your development - in some of cousin koonj's pictures i can see the little girl you are becoming. we miss you so very much and pray that it is not too long before we can see you again...

oh! and thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday!

5 Comments:

Blogger Baraka said...

Salaam dear,

Happy birthday to your beautiful boy!

Wow - looking at the then and now photos I am amazed at how quickly children grow up and into themselves.

Love,
B

3:24 PM  
Blogger bsc said...

Masha-Allah, he looks better now. I saw his listlessness when we were leaving but he quickly made it The two pics are excellent examples of how they grow
I got some beautiful pics of Raihana too.
Now that my book has been published, I am officially 'author'. Will wait for you to become one and of course Shabana is on her way already. I recently went through Akram's blog (on hijab) He is masha-Allah very good on Islam and I like his un-apologetic approach I am going to blog today somethin' Dunno what.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Manal said...

It is amazing how time flies so fast, Subhan'Allah. And little Musa was a cutie then and he is STILL a cutie now! May Allah bless him always Insha'Allah, Ameen!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Ayesha said...

abboo, i'm glad you said that. now that you expect me to become an author i may actually try to accomplish it sooner than later :) maybe it's true, i have to have someone telling me what to do or i will never do anything? i have only proven that wrong once - with scotland - but everything else in my life i have had to be pushed... :(

12:21 PM  
Blogger Noor said...

Happy Birthday to Musa again! and you too Ayesha! May Allah bless him! Mashallah. And you will be an author! IA. And so will I IA. Need a push? I want to see 10 pages in 2 weeks or 1 short story!

Now go!!! get writing!

N

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home