The Glittering Caves

...evening comes: they fade and twinkle out; the torches pass on into another chamber and another dream.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I'd rather be in Scotland. But I'm blessed where I am right now.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

nerdy pleasures

i did not know that "garde-robe" is french for closet, but it makes sense considering we also have the word "wardrobe" which is related of course. i just saw "garde-robe" on the side of the closet shelf organizer box i bought today and thought about medieval toilets...

5 Comments:

Blogger Suroor said...

Hmm, never thought about closets and medieval loos...

How you been? How's Musa? Two women I know have named their sons Musa - one is my best friend and I just love the name.

11:49 PM  
Blogger samra said...

This reminds me of a thought I had the other day.

"Enta" in Arabic is "you" and "anta" in informal Japanese also means "you"!! Formal is "anata."

Languages are fascinating...

1:10 AM  
Blogger JAG said...

but the coolest interlingual word, i think, is "typhoon," cognate with Arabic/Urdu "tufaan" and apparently originating with the Chinese word "dafeng" (Mandarin) or "daaifoong" (Cantonese) - ie, "big wind."

1:17 PM  
Blogger Ayesha said...

hmm, nice to know there are so many other nerds out there :)

3:52 PM  
Blogger Noor said...

I guess I always knew that was the word for 15th century or later toilets. Strange facts that I know. Maybe it is all that genre reading for my writing. Nerds unite!!

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home